Mon, Jul 15, 2024
Ginnie Springs shooting victim dies, following Koty Stewart death

Ginnie Springs shooting victim dies, following Koty Stewart death

  • PublishedMay 30, 2024

The victim was one of three people injured when someone shot into a large crowd, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

HIGH SPRINGS, Fla. — *Editor’s note: The video attached to this story is from a previous, related report. It discusses arrests in a shooting that happened on the same day, but is separate from the shooting reported on here.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has confirmed that one of the three people shot in a crowd at Ginnie Springs on Saturday has died.

The three were struck when someone fired shots into the crowd during the busy Memorial Day weekend. Police said at a news conference Tuesday that one of those people was in serious condition. This victim has now died.

The other two victims were released from the hospital.

No suspect information or victim information has been released as of Wednesday night. FDLE is spearheading the investigation.

“We have developed suspects in this case, and we’re continuing to work our investigation, our investigation is still ongoing,” said Will Porter, the resident agent in charge of the FDLE Gainsville field office.

Shooting of Koty Stewart

This death is one of two resulting from violence at the springs over the weekend.

Before the triple shooting, another shooting happened at the springs just after midnight Saturday.

That shooting killed Koty Stewart, 34, of Jacksonville.

RELATED: Jacksonville man shot, killed at Ginnie Springs during Memorial Day weekend, family says

In his death, investigators with the Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Office arrested 18-year-old Fisher Watts from St. Mary’s, Georgia, on first-degree murder charges. His brother, Dallas Watts, was also arrested and charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. 

The investigation revealed the shooting stemmed from a dispute over a parking place at a campsite, according to police.

Police said two opposing parties were involved in two physical altercations just hours before the shooting. Witnesses told police they believed the dispute was resolved before the shooting occurred.

Fisher Watts fled the scene, according to police. He was arrested Sunday afternoon in Georgia and remains in the custody of the Camden County Sheriff’s Office. He’s awaiting extradition to Gilchrist County.

Dallas Watts was arrested at Ginnie Springs on Saturday.

The Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Department of Law Enforcement are asking any individuals who were at Ginnie Springs at the time of the shootings or may have additional information to contact them.

To contact FDLE, call (386)462-9975. To contact the sheriff’s office call (352) 463-3410.

Source link

Written By

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *